Psalm 23: 5- 6


You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord. Forever.


The comfort from the Lord spoke of in this chapter is the comfort of a friend who feels empathy for what you are going through. They put themselves in your place. It was tradition to anoint with oil and this was to show that one was honored to have someone in their home. To be welcome and accepted no matter what. God was provided protection for David even among those that David is not sure he can trust. The words 'my cup runneth over' is talking about emotions that cannot be kept inside. David is trusting in God and knows that he will be with the Lord forever no matter the outcome of his trials. He is certain of the goodness and mercy of God. Mercy is that unfailing steadfast love God has for His people. It is the promise from God to be with us always.


This is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. I guess that is why I kept putting it off. I feel the love God had for David in these passages. David was God's son just as Jesus was and as I am a daughter of God. We all can feel this acceptance and love and welcome from God. Knowing that God is there when people are wanting to hurt us is a great comfort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elijah and His Accomplishments

Pentatonix

Study on the Holy Spirit